[Wine] Application Installation Error

Leslie Rhorer lrhorer at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 12 01:51:47 CST 2010

	So is Debian Stable - well 2 years, anyway.  1.0.1 is the current
release of wine under the current stable release ("Lenny") of Debian.  This
server won't be upgraded until the testing release ("Squeeze") goes stable.
The date for the release of the new stable Debian distro has not been
posted, but the distro is in lock-down, and it is expected to be released
within the next few months.  Even so, the highest supported release of wine
under Debian, even in the not-yet-released "Squeeze" testing distro is
1.0.1, so upgrading wine is not really an option.

	For that matter, looking at the unstable "sid" release, even it only
includes 1.0.1-3.1 in its main distro.  Running a testing version on a
server is poorly advised.  Running an unstable version is a bad idea.
Running a version not even yet included in an unstable distro is out of the
question.

> BTW, why are you running this in a virtual environment?

	'Because it is a headless server.  It's nowhere near a console.

> Wine is very intense and uses alot of system resources.

	Well, not so much, really, at least not for the apps I am using so
far.  I keep a couple of wine applications running all the time, and the
steady-state CPU utilization is under 4%, total, with neither CPU running at
more than 3.5% unless an active job pushes it up.  The memory utilization is
under 18% (about 620M) and the swap is less than 200K.  The server is easily
able to transfer better than 928 Mbps over its Gig-E link to the network,
and it can easily transfer better than 2200 Mbs continuously over a 10
Terabyte extent on the backplane.  Obviously, the wine apps aren't slowing
anything down enough to be a problem.

	Heck, I just pulled up all four wine apps I have on the system, and
it still is running less than 10% CPU and less than 20% memory... oops, an
rsync job just ran and pegged the #2 CPU to over 95% for 23 seconds, but now
it's back down to 8%.  'Not even the tiniest hiccough, and the wine apps are
happily slogging away each at their own task.