[Wine] Help testing regression

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 08:23:10 CST 2010

jpka <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Hi! I also need regression testing. Sadly, while try to install wine into my Ubuntu 10.10, for some old versions of Wine
>like wine-1.0, i get errors like

There is a major problem here.  If a program works with Wine 1.0.1 but does not with Wine 1.2.2, there are about 3500 changes to the code.  It would be better if a more current version were tested, say wine 1.1.42 before starting a regression test sequence.

>There are many talks about this error on internet  (not only for Wine installer) but no any solution suggested... Maybe
>it's due to changes in newer /usr/bin/install itself, i don't know. Please help me. But please not suggest 'not install
>wine but run it locally', it's not work: wine-1.0 taken from Ubuntu repos, and wine-1.0 compiled myself and run from home
>folder, gives different results.

There is a reason for this.  Some of the repos 'patch' Wine to work around known issues.  This is HIGHLY discouraged as this skews results when people try to use Wine.  It also makes any tests run against them immediately invalid.  We request for good reasons that all regression tests start on a clean, downloaded version of Wine from the git repository.  This is so that others can replicate and validate your results.  Starting with a poorly patched version of Wine will end up in frustration on everyone's part.

Regression testing is incumbent on the person reporting the error, unless they can solict assistance from a Wine developer with the same system, that is hardware/software/Wine build as you do.  This is one of the reasons the project askes for bug reporters to run the test.  The problem may NOT lie with Wine, but rather your system.  Sad to say, but you have to do this yourself, especially given the scope of the number of changes needed to be tested.

James McKenzie