[Wine] Re: Wine profiles

Bob Wya wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Dec 15 06:52:32 CST 2010

I've found the Wine registry to be useful. I prefer to install all my Steam games in a single Wine prefix together (I know that's really, really bad - I don't care).

To fix issues for specific games I then edit the AppDefaults key. Add the main executable of the game I want to overide and keys underneath that as necessary.

Useful Wine Registry Keys (http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys)

You can do .dll overides and all kinds of useful stuff this way. E.g. I do a mouse warp overide fix for Bioshock this way. My other Steam games aren't effected by this... But would be if it was global - the mouse pointer in World in Conflict just gets locked in the middle of the screen.

As an example take the problem of trying to run one,specific application in a virtual desktop of a certain size.

Globally winecfg creates/sets the key (which would run all applications in that Wine prefix in a virtual desktop):

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Explorer\Desktops]
"Default"="800x600"

So to make this setting only apply to a single application (in that Wine prefix) you would create:

Code:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\<application.exe>\Explorer\Desktops]
"Default"="800x600"

(obviously <application.exe> will be replaced with something sensible - main executable name for your application/game - not a full path)

This method works for game shortcuts (created on the Desktop), running the game via Steam and running the game from the command line.

You can add the keys via .reg files or by using the Wine buildin registry editor.

Probably easiest to use the import/export feature in the Wine registry editor. You can use this with winecfg - determine what the global key is and then create the local key (adding in: "AppDefaults\<application.exe>" to make override specific to one application).

Hope that's clear!!  8)

Bob