[Wine] Trouble with libgsm on Mac OS X 10.6.2

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 18 20:06:07 CST 2010

On 12/16/10 9:13 AM, bcpeterson wrote:
> dcherring wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> In answer to the error "libgsm 32-bit development files not found," after completing the libtool command, you must copy the library to /usr/lib.  "cp lib/* /usr/lib"  would do nicely.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> David
>
> Also...major problem with this command that I found was that in terminal you won't get an error message but this doesn't work unless you have read/write access to your /usr/lib directory which some people don't have. Therefore:

/usr/lib is owned by root.  You have to be a system administrator AND
use sudo to write/modify/delete from this directory.  It should be the
same for any version of UNIX with this directory.

Thus to install the library you can either use /usr/lib or
/opt/local/lib (this is PREFERRED as this is not a baseline library
included with the operating system).

In my case, since I use Fink to install, I use /sw/lib and added it to
the Library path statement.

How you solve this is up to you, but I recommend against adding files to
/usr/lib unless they came with or are a part of MacOSX.  Symbolic links
are excluded....

James McKenzie