[Wine] Re: Tableau Public vis software / Ubuntu

AustinDahl wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 21 00:06:32 CST 2010

case wrote:
> Hey all -- First post, so first off thanks for creating this wonderful software and helping out new users like me adapt to the wine-way :)
>
> Has anyone managed to get Windows/Mac only data analysis and vis suite Tableau Public (http://www.tableausoftware.com/public/download) running with any version Wine yet? It goes through the motions of installing, but then won't run. I'd welcome any help debugging and working through the problem to try and get it to work.
>
> Setup:
> Ubuntu 9.10 on Dell XPS M1530
> Wine 1.1.31
>
> Thank you,  ~case

I work as a developer for Tableau Software and I have tried to get Tableau working with Wine on a Mac without luck -- it runs under Paralelles just fine.

In my attempts I was able to get past the FlexLM issues.  I don't know if that was because FlexLM worked okay on a Mac or I was able to try a developer build that had the licensing removed.  Even after that there were issues with the UI code under Wine.  Under the covers Tableau does some fairly complex things with the drag and drop APIs that Wine is unable to cope with.

I look forward to the day when Tableau will run natiively on more platforms, but it isn't there yet.

Austin Dahl