[Wine] Problem Running wineboot.exe

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 28 15:48:39 CST 2010

Denpos <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Whenever I try to open anything that has to do with wine (winecfg, run an exe with wine, uninstall wine programs,...) by
>using the GUI menu, I get the error "The program wineboot.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.".
>
>So I tried using the terminal, which gives me the same error.
>
>But with su-privileges, I can get everything working: I can run winecfg, run wine *.exe,...

You broke Wine's pseudo-Windows directory by using root to run Wine (that is what su and sudo do.)

You might be able to recover by doing the following:

Change to your user's home directory:
cd
and issue the command to change the file owner AND group by using the change owner command:
chown -R <user name>:<user group> .wine

If this does not work then you will have to delete the .wine directory and start over.

BTW, WHY are you running Wine as root?

James McKenzie