[Wine] Re: windows dlls

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Feb 1 20:51:09 CST 2010

paintbalforjesus wrote:
> I'm a junior in college majoring in computer science and thinking about doing my Independent Study on something with WINE.  I'm a huge linux supporter and I want to be able to use everything I can in windows in linux, but currently, I can't, clearly.
>
> My idea is to make a program that will copy all of the native DLLs from my windows partition into my WINE directory and see if that makes programs work better.
>
> Being that I know relatively little about how WINE actually works I don't know if this will work or not and would like some feedback on the feasibility of it.  Will it benefit WINE if I am successful?  Have attempts been made in the past that have failed?  If I do it successfully will I be able to run things like windows media player (bad example, just trying to think of a native windows program) in WINE?  Etc.
>
> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I hope to be of help to the WINE and linux community

As John said, that will break Wine. DLL overrides need to be used judiciously, on an as-needed basis. Overrides that are needed to make one app work may well break another one. And there are some dlls that should never be replaced with native ones.

There are lots of apps that run just fine in Wine without any native dlls.

I suggest you start by reading the documentation. http://wiki.winehq.org/