[Wine] Internet Explorer starts without toolbar or menu

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:30:29 CST 2010

On 2 February 2010 12:57, dimesio <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Real IE6 and IE7 can be installed with winetricks. IE6 mostly sort of works, last time I tried IE7 it crashed on start.

IE7 works for me here. The menus are really messed up. But it's good
enough to check pages in.

> Crossover includes hacks to make some things work that don't work in plain Wine, so real IE might work better in it.  But are you sure the browser you used under it was real IE, and not just wine-gecko with the missing features added? (I don't know, I don't use Crossover.)

Indeed. The Wine iexplore is NOT the Microsoft rendering engine - it
uses Gecko, same engine as Firefox. It will NOT let you check how
pages look in IE. For that, you'll need the real IE installed with
winetricks.

- d.