[Wine] VAG-COM

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu Feb 4 10:53:22 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 20:19, fred44nl <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> hi,
> I am trying to get the VAG-COM software from Ross-Tech to work with Wine.
> the host operating-system is Mac OS X 10.6.2
> the version of Wine is 1.1.34
>
> the installation is done with Wine.
>
> when I start the software from Mac's Finder, I get an error message: Can't Open Codes File: CODES.DAT
>
> when I use explorer.exe from Wine, and manouvre to the installation-folder, the software starts correctly.
>
> also when I open a command-prompt, and manouvre to the installation-folder, there is no error.
>
> obviously, I need a shortcut / link, that gets me to the correct folder first and than starts the softeware.
> the full path is: C:\program files\vcds\vcds.exe
>
> how can I make such link ??

The one way, is to create a script (text file that is set executable
starting with #!/bin/bash to run it in bash) that contains the
commands to start up VAG-COM, set it executable with chmod +x
script.sh and to create a link to that... (Can't remember how to do
that under OS X)

Example contents of script:

################## Start of script, don't include this line
#!/bin/bash
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine  # Change if your Wineprefix is located elsewhere...
export WINEPREFIX
cd "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/program files\vcds" # Path is case-sensitive,
check case (Might need to be "Program Files")
wine vcds.exe
This might work as well: (replace the last 2 lines in the above script
with this...)
wine start "C:\program files\vcds\vcds.exe"

Gert