[Wine] Unable to connect with IE8

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Feb 4 16:50:46 CST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 15:37 -0600, liderbug wrote:

> I'm creating web pages and need a way to test IE. I've been using IE6
> for some time and just tried to upgrade to IE8.  I searched for "wine
> install ie8" and found several, followed this one and that one step by
> step, winecfg, tricks...

I write standard HTML 4 and check its syntactic correctness with
HTML-tidy, which has ports to just about any OS you can think of. I've
yet to write a web page that passes HTML-tidy and fails to display
correctly with IE6, but ymmv.

In the aftermath of the Google hack via IE6 just about everybody
including M$ are preparing to bury IE6 ASAP. The only exception I can
think of is the UK Govt, but they'd keep using it just to be contrary.
So, can you just ignore it and work on the principle that anything that
passes HTML-Tidy will work on any current standards-compliant browser?

Martin