[Wine] Re: binding to privileged Linux ports (<= 1024)

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Feb 8 16:17:46 CST 2010

mc2718  good secuirty is like a onion.   You have layers.

Firewall is only one layer.    DAC permissions are another.   MAC permissions are another.  Physical controls are another.

At the firewall layer I use single packet port knocking to open the ssh.  So it is hidden most of the time.

Also the least number of not security layers the better.  Ie wine is a non secuirty layer.

Always remembering any one layer could fail one day.     Each layer reduces the risk or complete failure.

Secuirty what got my fear of you mc2718.   People from a windows background have the problem of putting too much faith in anti-viruses and firewalls.  Where good secuirty from the Unix/Linux world teaches you not to depend on them.