[Wine] Re: Battlefield 1942 : No Fullscreen, Soundbugs, some lags

jeffz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 9 17:03:01 CST 2010

Kobe wrote:
> Hello jeffz
>

> jeffz wrote:
> >
> > You are confused about the behavior of the app I think.   The main menu always uses the same resolution regardless, the settings refer to the resolution in game , not the resolution the game starts with/does intro movies etc.
> >

> You're telling BF1942 menu always has 800x600 and ingame there is the higher resolution? I will check this in WinXP, I doubt ...
> I have strange fonts ingame and suppose it's caused by a wrong resolution: E.g. in wine and in the game I configured 1024x768 but after all it's rendered in 800x600, scaled up to 1024x768 => approximation, faulty fonts.

Yes, the menu resolution is separate from the game resolution.  The fonts ingame are bitmap fonts, not regular fonts, so they can look strange sometimes.  At some resolutions they look normal others off a little from memory.

Kobe wrote:

> jeffz wrote:
> > It's a problem with calculating the distance of the sounds relative to the listener, it is nothing to do with OSS or ALSA.
>
> As I posted above with ALSA I had have more troubles. OSS works better. Maybe there is a better distance calculater?

The calculation is done in Wine, not in ALSA or OSS, that's why you do not hear some sounds, they "decay" too sharply.  Eg, in the cockpit of a plane vs the camera moving past the engine differs in Windows vs Wine.