[Wine] Re: ntdll.dll.so: invalid ELF header

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Feb 10 09:27:15 CST 2010

ysa wrote:
> Ah, this is an offset that prevents the code of ntdll.dll to be overwritten by such brain damaged programs?

No, they assume that some dlls are always at the same address for every process.

ysa wrote:
> So maybe the problem was that the preloader was not set up correctly when I had this option activated?

Wine uses preloader as a utility to mark particular libraries (*.dll.so are not a real dlls, they are dlls wrapped in shared libraries) to be loaded into specified address. If after that you get broken ELF library - it means your preloader is broken and can damage binaries. This can damage your entire system if you let it loose (allow to "optimize" your system).