[Wine] Fwd: Wine 3D performance - where does the bottleneck lies and how

James Huk huk256 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 21:29:24 CST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Huk <huk256 at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:26 AM
Subject: Re: [Wine] Wine 3D performance - where does the bottleneck lies and how
To: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 February 2010 00:12, James Huk <huk256 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the information everyone - that cleared thing up a bit. One
>> more thing I was wondering... do you know if somebody ever tried
>> compiling wine using Intel C Compiler (presumably - the fastest x86
>> compiler there is)? Should it be possible to compile wine using this
>> compiler "out of the box" or would some changes to the code need to be
>> done first?
>

> http://wiki.winehq.org/icc - some experiments along these lines. Not
> sure anyone's actively working to keep Wine compilable in icc, let
> alone doing performance testing. Basically, give it a try and you'll
> be helping keep the Wine codebase robust and cross-compiler compliant!
>

> - d.

Ok, i managed to compile it, well most of it anyway - some test
failed, or at least I think that's what is in the log. Also dxgi
(whatever that is) failed to compile, and no programs were build, I
had to go to the programs dir and type "make" there - then they
compiled without problem.
Hopefully nothing else is missing. And holy hell! Wine source after
compilation has 17.7 GB!! With GCC it usually have a bit more then 1GB
- 16GB difference is a bit weird.

As for speed - I will try to test that tomorrow (sorry, it is 4.23 AM
in here ;] ), but I already managed to run Operation Flashpoint and I
must say, I don't see any difference in speed, however more apps need
to be tested. I will try some 3d marks tomorrow, anything else you
would recommend for speed tests?

Compilation log can be found here:

http://wine.x.pl/wine-1.1.38-ICC-compilation.log.tar.gz