[Wine] Help with wine Steam configuration

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Feb 14 15:09:22 CST 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 13:33 -0600, Etherus wrote:

> Then you type: "cd /usr/bin" this will move you to that directory once
> here you need to use a text program to create the file "steam".

.../snippage/....

> Code:
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # Steam wrapper script
> #
> exec wine "c:\\program files\\steam\\steam.exe" "$@"
>
> Type "chmod +x steam" to make it executable.

Its not a good idea to put anything you write yourself in /usr/bin.

Quite apart from anything else, unless you remember to put a copy
somewhere safe (i.e. in your login user and back it up) you'll lose it
the next time you upgrade Linux.

Here's what I do. It's a little more complex, but it does mean that you
can do a fresh install of the next Linux release without losing anything
you've written, installed or downloaded into your login directory. The
initial setup is must easily done as part of a Linux install. This
description assumes that your distro creates one big partition that
contains everything except the swap space.

1. Do a custom install rather than accepting the distro's default disk
   partitions. Set up these partitions:

   - /boot (2GB)
   - swap  (2 or 3 times your RAM)
   - /     (20GB is plenty) 12GB is probably enough if you're tight
                         on disk)
   - /home (the rest of the disk)

2. After the install is complete, move the /usr/local directory tree
   to /home/local and replace it with a symbolic link pointing to
   the new location of the tree:
   - login as root
   - cd /usr
   - mv local /home
   - ln -s /home/local local

3. Echo $PATH, which should show that /usr/local/bin is in PATH.
   - if it isn't, edit /etc/profile to include it.

4. Put any scripts you wrote or programs you compiled in /usr/local/bin.

5. Next time you install Linux:
   - repeat the customisation, but DON'T reformat /home !
   - after the install, use the user and group maintenance tool to
     set up your login name remenbering to:
     - use the same user name, group (and password if you wish)
     - use the same directory name (/home/user)
     - use the same user id and group id as before.
   - now when you login as usual all your stuff should be where you
     left it.

6. Decide on a backup strategy and stick to it.
   I use a USB disk that I reformatted as ext3.
   Always keep it offline in a safe place.
   I make backups with rsync because its fast.

Martin