[Wine] wine image resizing (anti-alias)

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Feb 24 15:11:35 CST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 14:25 -0600, artheus wrote:
> Here's some screenshots:
>
> Tray icon, looks smooth in windows tray
> [img]http://www.shareimages.com/image.php?35408-q5SWm5aek6Ckl5yX-screenshot.png[/img]
>
> Full size, looks good
> [img]http://www.shareimages.com/image.php?35409-q5SWm5aek6Ckl5yX-screenshot1.png[/img]
>
> resize to smaller.. Not good.. Can barely see "Caught in a Life" text.
> [img]http://www.shareimages.com/image.php?35410-q5SWm5aek6Ckl5yX-screenshot2.png[/img]

Comments about the last two screenshots:

1) The smaller image has been affected by exactly the averaging effect I
   mentioned In particular you can see, on the left side of  vertical
   strokes in letters, that averaging mid-grey and white pixels gives a
   light grey one and this is certainly affecting the perceived width of
   the strokes. Zooming the image by a factor of 150%-200% makes this
   more obvious.

2) you altered the aspect ratio of the image when you shrank it and this
   has exaggerated the 'blockiness' of the letters:

   original 324 x 361  AR=0.9
   smaller  133 x 196  AR=0.68

   This has had quite a large effect on the smaller letters.

3) The linear reduction is to 41% horizontally and 54% vertically, so
   each final pixel has replaced 4.49 original pixels and no smoothing
   or resampling was used by the resizing algorithm. No wonder the
   diagonal edges on the big letters have jaggies.

Martin