[Wine] "Serious Error" with Mac OS X Leopard

drh wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 25 23:27:15 CST 2010

I've successfully downloaded and run a number of simple Windows programs using Wine.  But I've had no success with any programs that require an installer.  The installation process seems to work properly, but then when I try to run the app, I get

Code:
The program <programname.exe> has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I've received the same error with at least half a dozen other programs (including ones rated Platinum), so I gather there's something I'm doing wrong.  Tonight I tried this with a program called MentalRepairsInc, with the same result.  Here is the output from the log:

Fontconfig error: line 1: no element found
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete SHAutoComplete stub
Fontconfig error: line 1: no element found
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Fontconfig error: line 1: no element found
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x0 (thread 0
039), starting debugger...
Fontconfig error: line 1: no element found
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Fontconfig error: line 1: no element found
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Fontconfig error: line 1: no element found
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

I am using Wine version 1.1.35 on a Mac Book Pro.

Many thanks in advance.
-DRH