[Wine] Re: No Sound in Powerpoint.

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 27 13:59:27 CST 2010

C. Wizard wrote:
> OK. I just wiped the slate clean and did a fresh install of WINE, ms-office 2003, and a 73 megs of codec from a package called Starcodec.  The result?
>
> STILL NO SOUND from Powerpoint.
>
> Everything else works well.  It can't be a codec problem. Could it be a "switch" needs to be entered on the command line?

> Thanks.

The most likely cause is that you don't have 32 bit libmgp123 installed and/or your Wine package was compiled without mp3 support.  This will  affect any apps (like Powerpoint) that rely on Windows Media Player codecs to play sound. Apps that install their own codecs, like Winamp or VLC, are not affected.

Check that you have 32 bit libmpg123, and if you don't, install it.  Also check that your Wine install includes winemp3.dll.so; if it doesn't, your  Wine package lacks mp3 support. I've posted a workaround for that in the AppDB entry for Powerpoint 2003.