[Wine] gekkeiju online running, now just need shaders

tenclouds wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jan 1 22:14:26 CST 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I've run dual boot Kubuntu/XP before, although I admit I haven't spent a ton of time on Kubuntu. I have a spare machine now to dedicate to experimenting with Linux and I am currently running LinuxMint on it.

Off and on I play an online game called gekkeiju online (http://www.gekkeijuonline.com/). They're now in open beta for the release of their new world which has better graphics and shaders. I'm working on getting Gekkeiju up and running with WINE on the Linux machine. At first it did not work at all, but eventually I made some changes and got it working partially. I'm not sure where to go from here.

OS:
     Running LinuxMint8 [Helena] (http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php), which has it's roots in Ubuntu I believe. It is a Gnome distribution.

The machine:
    Pentium 4 3.2 gHz
    1 gig of ram
    nVidia  e-GeForce 7600GS
        driver version: nVidia Accelerated graphics driver 185 (recommended)

Wine version 1.0.1 which was downloaded using the bundled software downloader.

Installing the software worked fine, but when I tried to run, it would crash. Eventually I was able to log in to one of my characters who was inside a building, but when he left the building it crashed. The game developer suggested that the shaders were the issue. After some research I did the following

The main changes that I've made:
 I copied every single DLL file that starts with d3d from my windows machine to the '~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/' folder
Following the advice for Oblivion here (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/oblivion:linux#Setup_Wine_for_running_Oblivion)
 I went into regedit and navigated to HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Wine /
I added the Direct3D key and put in the following values

OffscreenRenderingMode   pbuffer
UseGLSL                  enabled
VideoMemorySize          256

At this point I can enter the game so long as the graphics settings are on the lowest settings possible. I can travel between maps, I can travel from an outdoor map into a building, but if I travel from a building to an outdoor map, the game crashes.

Any help or ideas are welcome. Also if this helps any future Gekk players join the game then that's good too.

Thanks!