[Wine] Installing Wine from source.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:29:09 CST 2010

2010/1/6 sonanski <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
> vitamin wrote:
>> sonanski wrote:

>> > I downloaded the Wine tar file 1.1.26 and ran "./configure --enable-win64"

>> You really don't want to do that. Even in the current git (latest development version) Wine-64 won't run many 64-bit apps. Of course Wine-64 won't run any 32-bit apps regardless of the version.

> Heh... That's good to know.
> I guess I've figured out my problem.
> Thanks.

64-bit Wine is presently experimental. If you have a 64-bit app you
can't find a 32-bit version of, by all means test it out! But expect
to be reporting lots of bugs :-)

If you do need 64-bit Wine, you'll probably want to build from git
rather than use a tarball. This is geeky but otherwise reasonably
workable, particularly using ccache.

I understand a reasonably robust 32/64 Wine is one of the aims for
Wine 1.2 release.

- d.