[Wine] Super Pro 9.4 / USAF question

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sat Jan 9 04:18:52 CST 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 09:35, Marcelo R <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hi all!
> I tried to install and run Jane's USAF and Super Pro 9.4 with no luck. The game installs fine, but I cannot make it work under Linux (P-IV 2.5 + 1Gb RAM + NVidia 440Go (64Mb) with Ubuntu 9.10 + Wine 1.1.35 + NVidia 96.43.13). The game runs fine in this very same computer under Windows XP, and my computer exceeds by far the game's requirements.

Wine implements DirectX on top of OpenGL and it might be using
features not present on you ancient graphics card (or its drivers...)
to implement some features.

> The original program (Jane's USAF) is listed as not working in the AppDB, but it is probably one of the best Air Combat Simulators and that is what I am trying to make it work.
> I got the following log file when trying to run the game, and I was wondering if an experienced Wine user could tell me if the errors are  unrecoverable or if there are workarounds to solve them.:

The games has issues (broken menus, not sure if it even runs without
98 compatibility set up...) under Windows XP.... Maybe running it in
Windows 98 mode helps....

> fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16

Can the game be set for 32-bit color?

I can't remeber if 16 bit color under wine is like 256 colors where
you need to set up the X server properly to run in 16-0bit color....