[Wine] First real installation attempt- Warcraft III

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sun Jan 10 02:57:32 CST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 03:01, StartedTheFire <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I have a dell xps 430 and everything is standard. It has like 4 cpu's or something.

ATI Radeon HD 3650?

ATI's drivers could be problematic at times... (Some of it might be
Wine's fault as well(nVidia is better tested), but ATI's drivers are
part of the problem...)

> Sorry but I didn't catch what was going on with this OpenGL stuff. Is it something I have to download? Sorry I'm an idiot but what is it? I googled it and I still don't know what to do with it.

It is a registry setting (see the Appdb HOWTO) or a command-line
parameter for Warcraft. (-opengl IIRC)

Many things in the Frozen Throne AppDB page might also be relevant.

> I downloaded a new driver for the graphics card, though. Now there are a bunch of annoying mac-like animations whenever I open/close/minimize something or move things around or whatever. How do I make them go away?

Disable desktop effects... (Where that is depends on your distribution
/ desktop environment) (Google sould be able to find that quite
easily...) IIRC desktop effects tend to slow down Wine quite a bit as
well...

Gert