[Wine] Hardware requirements for running Wine+CAD software

Jim Hall volunteer.jim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 10:14:04 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:02 AM, ipse lute <wineforum-user at winehq.org>wrote:

> Does anyone know what hardware requirements are necessary for running
> CAD/BIM software under Wine? Anyone tried running Autocad-like or
> architectural software under wine, and to what avail? Any particular
> examples will be much apreciated. I would like to run BIM software under
> Wine within a popular linux distro like Mandriva or Debian-based, but i'm
> afraid it will run too slow. Running such software under linux will save me
> some RAM? Will i gain some CPU speed?

Because I'm trying to learn CAD (not very well) I did some looking. On the
Wine AppDB many Autodesk/Autocad programs seem to carry a garbage rating. To
me, that's not Wines fault.

For hardware, look at the programs RECOMMENDED requirements. Then move one
or two solid steps above that, at least. Because I'm a cynic and a pessimist
and I've been burned too many times. RAM and CPU issues can't be determined
until a program runs as it should.

As for a distro, for what you want to do I recommend Debian stable (Lenny).
What you want to do does not need all the bells and whistles that many
distros use. It is a Rock of Gibraltar, which is what you need for mission
critical use.

NOTE: My distro comment is based on my personal experience AND what he says
his needs are. If anyone wants to recommend another distro, feel free. But,
I am not starting a distro flame war and don't even want to hear about such
a thing.

The customer always comes first.

Jim