[Wine] Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager installs but won't run

BeartoothHOS beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Jan 13 11:00:10 CST 2010

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:51:54 -0600, tcwild wrote:

> Decided to try installing City Navigator, which installed okay; but the
> 'Unlock Wizard' fails, but...
>
> Trip and Waypoint Manager now runs! Not entirely sure what this means,
> and I still need to figure out how to get the GPS unit connected.
>
> Has anyone actually gotten all of this (Garmin GPS, TWM, and City Nav)
> to work?

	Sorry to be so late spotting this. I've been trying for years to
do this sort of thing, while Wine gets gradually better and better for
it. The current answer is mostly, sometimes.

	Let me expatiate discursively. Using Fedora (currently F12) and
wine-1.1.32-1.fc12.i686 (the latest in Fedora), I can install MapSource
and TopouS2008 on four PCs and two laptops; both do install, so launch,
and do run.

	Sometimes I can update one -- I'm not sure how.

	Sometimes (more often on the PCs than the laptops) I can make one
talk to one or more of my Garmin GPSs -- an Etrex Vista and a Rino 120,
both of which have Garmin cables that connect to a serial port.

	The laptops are a Thinkpad 30 and a Thinkpad 42, both bought
reconditioned from IBM; the 30 has a serial port. The 42 does not, and a
mere serial-USB adapter does no good. Somebody makes a kind of card,
however, which does -- again, sometimes -- do the job.

	I'm not familiar with CityNav; I presume TWM must resemble my old
MapSource software.

	Once I get waypoints, routes, and tracks into a given machine,
both MapSource and TopoUS2008 do manage them all right; I haven't yet
tried much to put a massaged set back in to replace the original in a
GPS, but plan to once I'm again physically capable of getting to the
woods. I haven't had occasion even to try moving maps back and forth; I
don't travel much.

	Hope this helps!