[Wine] Looking for developers trying to build Windows apps on Wine

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 21:24:03 CST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:26 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I will try that as soon as I can. I am building windows GUI medical
>> imaging applications with Qt, VTK, ITK, boost and several other
>> libraries.
>>
>> Before everyone says I can do this using native linux the problem is
>> some of in house libraries I need to use do not compile or execute
>> under gcc. Also the target platform is windows. I have CMake for the
>> project generation so that the compiler version is not that important.
>> I would have to get several large libraries and tools built in the
>> environment to be able to use wine.
>
> Great.  Please give it a go - following your normal windows
> procedures 100%, but on wine instead of windows - and let
> me know what bugs you run into.   Only Visual C++ 2005
> and the 2003 and Win7 SDKs install at the moment; no service
> packs install yet, and I haven't tried other languages.

Visual Studio 2005trial  installed fine. It took a very long time and
appeared to stall (no progress but little cpu or disk) at times but it
did complete. I got most of my build tools installed. I use
cmake-2.8.0. Anyways the first step is to build Qt 4.6.0 under visual
studio. I tried that 3 to 5 times in a couple of different methods
(msbuild, vcbuild, ide, nmake) but was not successful. The
multithreaded building methods (ide - batch build, vsbuild,msbuild)
did not use multiple threads and crashed during the build. nmake was
slow and I believe also exhibited the pauses like I mentioned in
installing visual studio. I am a little too busy at the day job to
spend much more time right now at this.

I do have a success to mention. My application after building under
windows, installs (nsis generated from cmake) and runs very well. I
would give it almost a platinum rating. This is great for me because
it's much faster under wine than under virtulization (vmware, kvm, or
virtualbox) on my quad core and it allows me to use all 4 cores which
greatly improves the performance.

BTW, the system I tested on is gentoo + multilib overlay (allows for
most use flags to be enabled) x86_64 using wine-1.1.36. I used a brand
new prefix.

John