[Wine] Need help to get LCDHype flying with Parallel-Port

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jan 25 10:40:33 CST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 10:15 -0600, lsmod wrote:
> Thank you for the explanation.
>
> I already created these symlinks in .wine/dosdevices.
> But are they necessary?

They are needed to translate LPTn:, which is all a well-written Windows
program should accept as a printer name, to correct Linux /dev/lpn
parallel ports.

> The keys in the registry are pointing direct to the port 378h and the
> Testprogramm also attempts to write direct to this address.

You are doing something else: bypassing the Linux drivers by attempting
to talk direct to the hardware. While this may be acceptable with older
Windows versions its not a good idea with Linux.

> Have i understand correct that your proposal with the daemon and
> socket is for running the application in NT+ emulation?

It shouldn't matter because AFAIK Wine supports Windows sockets for all
Windows emulations. Sockets is a reliable way of communicating between
Windows programs and Linux native programs.

Martin