[Wine] Fwd: How to choose a friendly-wine video card?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:19:29 CST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jim Hall <volunteer.jim at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Type in "nvidia.com" in your browsers address bar.

If you see a video of a guy on a rocket sled, click on it (you can
come back later and watch it).

At the top of the page is a "Download" tab. Mouse over and click on
"Download Drivers".

In the "Product Type:" choose the category your card fits in (ex.:
mine is 'GeForce').

In the "Product Series":choose the series of your card (ex. : mine is
a '9600 GT' so I choose 'GeForce 9 Series').

The site has probably already filled in your Operating System and
Language. If they are wrong, change them.

Click on the green "SEARCH" button.

Click on the link for "Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris Drivers"

Under "Linux IA 32" choose "Latest Version: 190.53". At least that's
the version number for today. Click on the link.

Click the green "DOWNLOAD" button.

Click on the green "AGREE & DOWNLOAD" button.

You should have the file on your hard drive.

I made the previous steps and the following instructions to help
people I introduce to Linux. I run Debian Lenny. This is only a guide
(ex.: your run level numbers may be different). As is usual with
Linux, feel free to adapt this to your situation if you need/want to
use them.

Install Nvidia binary driver instructions – short version

If you have just updated anything to do with the kernel, reboot before
starting even if the update didn't require it.

When you must type a command, ignore the quote marks.

1   Using normal account, download driver from Nvidia site and put it
in it's own directory under “DOWNLOADS”.

2   Log out of normal account and log in as root.

3   Backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

4   Change to run level 3: Type “ctrl+alt+F3”

5   Log in as root

6   Type “/etc/init.d/gdm stop” (you will be asked to login again)

7   Type “export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1”

8   Type “cd /home/normal account/DOWNLOADS/directory where driver is”

9   Type “sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-xxx.xx-pkg1.run”

10  Type “/etc/init.d/gdm start”

11  Exit root

12  Change to run level 2: Type “ctrl+alt+F2”

13  Reboot

Enjoy,
Jim

--