[Wine] Need help to get LCDHype flying with Parallel-Port

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Jan 28 05:10:42 CST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 04:46 -0600, lsmod wrote:
> Of course.
> But the question was how to access /dev/lp0 in wine with an Windows compiler?
> I think the only way is to patch the libraries.

Yes, of course, but since you said your guy was going to make a dll
containing the Windows driver functions that's at most a very small
addition to his code and one that may not be needed if you use
InpOut32.dll it may not be necessary. Its the sort of thing that gets
put in conditional compilation if its a line or two or in a
platform-dependencies module if its bigger.

Regardless of whether the parallel port stuff I pointed you to is kernel
2.4 or 2.6, read and understand it: the parallel port API didn't change
and it looks to me that using /dev/parport0 would be better suited to
your needs than using /dev/lp0.

If you don't have the test gadget described in the article you
referenced, it may be useful to make one.

> Specially the interfacing with udev in kernel 2.6

There's not a lot of documentation on udev anyway - at least not that
I've found, but the rules aren't hard to understand and modify if all
you're changing are access permissions. One point: *don't* change an
existing rules file because the changes will be lost if there's a udev
upgrade. Instead, add a local rules file named to run after the rule you
want to override and containing the minimum rule needed to change the
access permission for just the device(s) you need to access.

Martin