[Wine] Security issues

Col wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jan 28 15:54:45 CST 2010

Can files in WINE compromise my linux system?

The reason I ask is that I recently clicked on what I thought was a graphic file I had been given expecting it to open GIMP, and instead found it opened Fireworks in WINE. Then I noticed that Linux identified the file not as a graphic file, but as a DOS executable. I then recognised that the file is probably malicious.

What steps should be taken to ensure the system is safe?
Is it enough to delete the .wine folder?