[Wine] All Applications Failing on Start

thistimearound wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jan 29 17:15:39 CST 2010

Hey guys. Kind of new to the linux world here. I love the idea of WINE but I haven't been able to get anything to work yet. Perhaps you guys can help me if you've had similar issues? I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 on a Macbook-1,1. Everything outside of wine works fine other than bad repositories, but that's another story. [Wink] Below is a list of applications I'm having problems with.

World of Warcraft - Did the installation through WINE. Updated to the most recent patch. Will play the opening video and then hang immediately. Will not run anything past the start-up, ie no log-in screen.

F.E.A.R - Gold edition - Asks for DVD/CD to play if its not in. CD/DVD doesn't read or open in WINE, starting manually with CD/DVD in it will give me the configuration, but won't load afterwards.

Braid - Will not load at all.

Morrowind: GotY DVD with both Expansions - Installed through WINE, will start with or without the dvd in, but won't do anything after the opening Bethesda video.

Plants vs. Zombies (compressed in z7) - Will not open in z7. Though z7 did appear to install right.

DirectX - Would not install. Necessary?

Anyways, that's just a few. Looks like Ventrilo works, don't seem to have a problem installing anything, just a lot of things hanging. I guess I'm missing important dlls or something? No amount of reading or internet search has helped me figure this out.