[Wine] All Applications Failing on Start

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Sat Jan 30 22:41:28 CST 2010

thistimearound wrote:
> To be honest with you, I love Mac OS X.
And most Mac users do, including me.
> But I really like Ubuntu.
That's great!
> As for programs, trust me, I know which ones are native or not,
Just checking.
> but my hard drive was fried, so on my new hard drive I figured I'd start fresh.
Ouch. In that case, now is a good time for new beginnings.
> I REALLY hate Windows.
You're in good company. Most of us can attest to that.

> Anyways. What kind of terminal output do you need
When you run Wine from the command line (open the "Terminal" app), it
prints error messages and the like to the terminal. That's what we want.
> and how do I get that for you?
Just run Wine from the command line. Then you can copy and paste from
Terminal. If you don't know how to run Wine from the command line, see
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-3b297df7a5411abe2b8d37fead01a2b8edc21619 .
> How do I know if I'm trying to run in OpenGL or not?
I think you can force WoW to run in OpenGL mode with:
 wine wow -opengl
from the WoW directory.

There's also a setting in WoW's config files that controls this.

But since you're asking, and the default on Windows is DirectX, I'm
going to assume you're running it under DX (which gets translated to
OpenGL anyway). In that case, we'll need terminal output from WoW, too.
> I didn't see an option anywhere.
You can't control it from WoW's GUI because the default (DirectX) works
for most Windows users. (Wine users are another story. :)

Chip