[Wine] Can't get JRE 1.6U18 to run

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 31 18:16:13 CST 2010

linker3000 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed WINE 1.1.32 on fedora 12 and I am trying to get Sun Java JRE running but have a few issues:
>
> If I pick up the JRE installer .EXE file, it fails to install and this seems to be down to a heap space allocation error. I have found a few posts around the Internet about this but nothing gets me towards a fix.
>
> What I am actually trying to do is run a jnlp installer package and if I do this manually with "wine java package.jnlp" I get:
>
> fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)

This is specific to .NET or Microsoft's interpetation of Java.  The
applications database and winetricks have methods of installing this
package.  I don't know which one you need, but I would try .NET 2.0 and
then .NET 3.0.  .NET 3.5 may be installable as well.
> I have used winetricks to install some MS components, including 'Common controls' but without much success.
>
> Unfortunately, the developers of the java app have made it very Windows-centric (eg: It checks values in the Registry) and so running it natively on Linux is not going to work.

I would get another Java application as they are supposed to be
'Operating System' neutral.  Swing and AWT give the same functionality,
if not better, than using .NET.

James McKenzie