[Wine] Wine 1.1.44 and WoW 3.3.5 crash

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 1 22:28:08 CDT 2010

Jim Hall wrote:

>     Jim:
>
>     I picked this up on a different thread and may only apply to Ubuntu:
>
>     dimesio wrote:
>
>         > ... be caused by not having installed the necessary 32 bit
>         parts on a 64 bit system.
>

>         It was not the problem, we all have the 32 libs installed, it
>         was just a bug with the package (apparently). With the 5th
>         release lib32-nvidia-utils, it works >
>         great.
>

>     Looks like Cr0k may have found one of many solutions....
>
>     James McKenzie
>

> Yes, I saw that. I checked and I don't have that installed (it's not
> even in repository). I run plain vanilla 32 bit, so that wouldn't have
> come up for me, especially if it turns out to be Ubuntu only. Curious

Interesting.  Rosanne Dimensio has brought up a few things and I agree
that they may make a difference:

1.  There is a kernel version that broke things.  There is a patch on
www.kernel.org that fixes the problem and it is scheduled for
incorporation into a to-be-published kernel real-soon-now.
2.  There was a problem that started with Wine 1.1.43 that affects WoW
(and I suspect other games.)
3.  There have been reports of problems with the latest release of
nVidia's Linux Drivers.  I remember that Ubuntu and Arch Linux users
were affected, but this may affect Fedora and other releases.
4.  The lib32-nvidia-utils package I mentioned.  This may not come with
Debian or even Fedora.

Any or one of these could cause breakage.  The key is to try one (say
backing down kernel levels, trying an older version of Wine, trying a
different version of video drivers, etc.) and see what happens.  In your
case, you are using Wine 1.1.42.  Maybe upgrading to Wine 1.2-rc6 (when
it becomes available) might cause breakage.  Maybe updating the Linux
Kernel will cause breakage.  Maybe it won't.

The key is that one should be very careful when upgrading and ALWAYS
have a backup of a working system to fall back on and to restore to.
(Macs sort of make this easy, its called Time Machine and I use it.)

The point that I'm trying to get across is that this information is
contained in several threads and that this needs to be consolidated into
one message and that the message be accurate.  Mine was confusing and
contained missing facts.  I'll own up to that.  However, three of the
four items I mentioned did come from other threads and the last one I
found today.  The fixes may or may not apply to your system, but it
never hurts to try some of them.  You would be amazed at what I've found
fixes things.

WOW Users:

For those who are experiencing World of Warcraft errors, or problems
with other Blizzard games, please do a little research before posting.
WoW 3.3.5 update broke things and makes the game unplayable on some
systems.   Earlier versions of WoW do work, but may encounter problems
connecting to some servers and some servers will automatically update
you.  Please do search through and read some of the lengthy threads for
ideas on how to attempt to get WoW working with the latest versions of Wine.

Thank you.