[Wine] .wine invisible

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Fri Jul 2 01:39:26 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 07:39, peter4444 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> hi
>
> i have installed wine. it works fine, but unfortunately, i cant see the .wine folder at my places. how can i make it visible?
>
> what are the reasons, that the folder is invisible by defautl?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-file

It is by design..

You can use WINEPREFIX to use something visible.... (the FAQ mentions
it.. If you run Wine from the Terminal, prefixing WINEPREFIX=~/wine
before all commands should result in the visible "wine" directory in
your home directory being used....) (There's other ways to use
WINEPREFIX more automatically, read up on environment variables under
Linux or ask your distibution where you can define them to be defined
at login for GUI sessions)

It is standard practice to hide "settings" directories in a user's
home directory.

Gert