[Wine] Re: pulseaudio under ubuntu lucid

Tootler wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jul 2 14:20:15 CDT 2010

thorin wrote:
> Hello. In the previous version of ubuntu, karmic, I had countless problems with wine and pulseaudio...
>
> Basically, I think Ubuntu Lucid has fixed any issues with pulseaudio and wine.

That seems to be my experience too.

I only have a few applications running under Wine and just two of those need MIDI playback for which I use fluidsynth.

On upgrading to Ubuntu Lucid, I had problems starting fluidsynth as it tried loading Jack which would then crash so no midi. Eventually I told fluidsynth to use alsa and it then loaded fine and I found I got my midi playback without having to disable pulseaudio.

Let's hope it is fixed as it looks like PA is pretty closely integrated into Lucid. I am not a programmer so I am not aware of all the technical details but it does seem that you cannot access the audio settings in Lucid without PA.

Geoff