[Wine] Re: Ubuntu 10.04 + Wine minimizing trouble.

shinobitux wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 3 21:11:01 CDT 2010

Hello, everyone. I think I've found the best solution so far not having found the real issue.

When you launch World of Warcraft (or any other wine application that suffers from the switch-desktops-minimizing problem) try launching the application like as follows:

wine explorer /desktop=winname,1280x1024 "/home/isaac/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Wow.exe"

The format is something like:
wine explorer /desktop=VIRTUAL_DESKTOP_NAME,YOUR_X_RESOLUTIONxYOUR_Y_RESOLUTION PATH_TO_PROGRAM

This allows you to create and set the dimensions for a virtual desktop on the fly without having to check the "Emulate a virtual desktop" in winecfg.

The VIRTUAL_DESKTOP_NAME can be anything you like, as far as I can tell. Haven't tried running multiple programs in the same virtual desktop, so be aware that if you run multiple games at the same time, you may want to use different VIRTUAL_DESKTOP_NAMEs for each program.

Additionally, when I originally came across this fix the poster suggested running the command like so:

wine explorer /desktop=1280x1024 "/home/isaac/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Wow.exe"

Notice the absence of the VIRTUAL_DESKTOP_NAME. This didn't work for me. World of Warcraft would run in a window of the correct resolution but the window wasn't fullscreen and had the title bar, etc.

If what worked for me didn't work for you, try omitting the VIRTUAL_DESKTOP_NAME and see if that helps.