[Wine] Re: AOE runs but doesn't.

Ebere wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jul 4 00:42:30 CDT 2010

I wish I could edit the title to my thread and add: Solved.

It is solved. more or less.

I can play the same, but it is as slow as mollasses in January.

Let's see if I can remember what all I did.

To get the game installed, was easy.

To get it to run, I had to figure out how to get it to recognize that the cd was in the drive.

To do that I went into wine cfg. Opened the "drives" tab. Clicked on "Add".  Let it select the next drive letter. Then used the "browse" button, to get to the cd drive. Then I hit apply.

That worked. Whereas, using a no-cd patch, only killed the game completely.

After that, when I would try to start the game, the game would actually start. But I could only get to the main menu screen. I couldn't play a single player game, because it would then ask for the cd... -Again !-

I tried playing from the cd, but that didn't work, either.

Today, I updated Mint. And a couple other things.

Now... If I go to the cd, and start the game using the "aocsetup.exe" file, instead of the gameply file... I can play the game.

Like I said, it is super slow, but everything does seem to work.

Well, aside from the font being changed from white to black, and so it is almost impossible to read. (If I weren't already so familiar with the game, I might not be able to figure it out.)

That and in the 'boxes', where you edit a game, and change the amount of gold, wood, etc... Are all wonky. You can put something in them, but you can't see what it is, because it is black fonts. And that window seems to have the jitters, as well.

Also with that particular kind of edit box, if you right click to copy or paste, the right click menu appears 2/3 of the way up the page from the actual box.

The only other curiosity is that when the game is starting, going through the introduction screens, you have to first move the mouse, then -right- click, to click past those.

Anyway, it's working.

Thanks to all.