[Wine] WINE cannot create a window

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Sun Jul 4 19:44:07 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 12:21 +1200, Bryan Baldwin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using WINE that I compiled in a 32bit chroot environment in 64bit
> Archlinux. Following the guide located at:
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_bundled_32-bit_system_in_Arch64
>
> I created the chroot environment, installed 32bit versions of the WINE
> dependencies, and accessed WINE in the 32bit chroot from the 64bit
> environment with schroot. Everything works well except when I attempt to
> launch a program with WINE, I get these errors:
>
> No protocol specified
> Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
> Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set
> correctly.
>
> When echoed from the terminal DISPLAY = :0.0
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I'm not sure what it is. It
> just seems like commands launched from the chroot cannot connect to X.
>

> 	Bryan

Very recent development:

I added /var/run to the list of host system directories that are mounted
in the change root. The rationale behind this configuration is that it
is the directory where the X session perms database is stored at runtime
in Archlinux. After mounting /var/run in the chroot, I am able to run
WINE programs perfectly, but only if I am *in* the chroot. schroot
launch produces the same errors.

As a speculation: perhaps the schroot failure is caused because the
chroot "user", although sharing the same name, groups, uid's and gid's
as my 64bit user, is not seen as "logged in" by the system when schroot
launches the chroot WINE. Still looking into this one, any helpful
pointers are welcome. I will post any solution, if discovered, both here
and on the Archlinux wiki.

	Bryan