[Wine] Compliments on 1.2-rc6, and a few notes

A Nonny Moose wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jul 5 15:30:22 CDT 2010

I use wine almost exclusively to run EA's Simcity 4 Rush Hour.  Up until rc-4 or so, this was an ordeal as the graphics would clog, apparently due to improper handling of the paging requirements.

SC4 is a legacy program written for Windows '95 in 2002/3 and after published fixes has a tolerable number of bugs, all well known.  It is the only really decent city simulation program on the market that can hold your interest for long.  It has held mine for 7 years, and I still play regularly.

Since attaching the Debian packager provided by this site, the updates have been rolling gaily.  The effect was a return to sane playing of SC4 on my part.  You are doing a fine job.

There are a couple of things peculiar to this game, however, that have to do with the multimedia aspects.  First, when the Region View is switched from Satellite viewing to Transportation view, the scene goes into night mode.  Very hard to read.  Day is restored when you switch back.

Next, when the control key is pressed and released, the sound quits.  My system is set to show a target at the mouse when the control key is released because I have some vision difficulties.  Whatever happens here, it can't be very difficult to stop noticing this.

I have been rather intensively playing this for about a week now, and these are the only difficulties I have noticed.  The general underpinnings are excellent.  I can live with the above glitches, so keep up the good work.

System: UBUNTU 10.4 updated to current tested stuff.