[Wine] Question about Winetricks...

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jul 5 19:10:05 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 18:16 -0500, r2rX wrote:
> Hmm....
>
> Well, until now, when I install WINE and install/uninstall winetricks
> (in synaptic package manager), the file always ends up in /usr/bin.

As doh123 said, if your distro put winetricks in /usr/bin, leave it
there.

> Although, the .wine folder IS in my home folder. And when I
> access /root/, I don't see a .wine folder.

Quite right - there should not be one in root's directory.

> But I did run winetricks as 'su', so that probably messed things up.
>
> So, at this point, what is the necessary steps to correct this?

You also have a copy of .wine in /usr/bin and that should be removed.
Run the following as root or via sudo:

cd /usr/bin; rm -rf .wine

> I'm planning on uninstalling WINE and winetricks completely, then
> reinstalling wine and manually placing winetricks in my /usr/local/bin
> folder (with permissions set to my profile) and try again.

The usual set-up is to give read and execute permissions to everybody
and restrict write permission to the file's owner:

chmod ga-w winetricks      # make sure group and all can't write it
chmod u+w  winetricks      # make sure the file's owner can write it
chmod uga+rx winetricks    # give read/execute to everybody

After all, you wouldn't put an executable in /usr/local/bin unless you
expect it to be generally used - if you wanted it to only be accessed by
one user you'd:
- create a directory $HOME/bin in that user
- add $HOME/bin to the user's search path by editing .bash_profile
- put the executable in $HOME/bin
- make it executable: chmod u+x filename

Martin