[Wine] Question about Winetricks...

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Mon Jul 5 19:33:47 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 13:33 -0500, dimesio wrote:
> > 2.) Whether I run winetricks from /usr/bin, or run it from a downloaded version; executing it with 'sh' simply does not work...I get the same error as posted above.
>
> I don't know how it's set up in Ubuntu, but openSUSE also includes winetricks in its Wine package, and I can run that winetricks with just the winetricks command, no sh, and no need to change directories.

openSUSE creates the directory $HOME/bin and adds it to $PATH, if memory
serves. You could do the same thing in any GNU/Linux distribution,
albeit manually rather then via the package management system. To make
winetricks executable do from the shell:

$ chmod a+x winetricks

else you can always:

$ sh winetricks

Aside from having no business being in /usr/bin, the problem with
winetricks in /usr/bin is that winetricks needs to be able to write as
it caches all the stuff it downloads. /usr/bin is not user writable. If
you absolutely must run winetricks directly, do something like this:

$ mkdir $HOME/sh
$ wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks -O $HOME/sh/winetricks
$ echo "PATH=$PATH:$HOME/sh/winetricks" >> $HOME/.bashrc

Now you can use winetricks without typing explicit paths.

You can target specific Wine directories with winetricks. For instance,
I alway install one program to one Wine directory. To do this, set the
variable WINEPREFIX in your shell command to install a program:

$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wine/myprogram wine myprograminstaller.exe

To have winetricks operate on the directory tree for "myprogram" do:

$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wine/myprogram winetricks

Tricks performed via the above command will only effect "myprogram" (or
anything else installed with the same WINEPREFIX). Typically, progams
installed with WINEPREFIX set will automagickally detect the WINEPREFIX
and launch the program with the correct prefix set directly from the
Wine entry in the GNOME applications menu. If not, you can change it to
make it do so.

For more information, see:

http://ftp.winehq.org/pub/wine/docs/en/wineusr-guide.html#AEN535

	Bryan