[Wine] A further comment on 1.2-RC6

A Nonny Moose wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 7 19:06:46 CDT 2010

Running on UBUNTU 10.04 current to recent hours.

When running Simcity 4 Rush Hour with a very small suite of plugins, sometimes the graphics goes haywire.  The early symptoms are RGB + black squares appearing here and there.  As this develops, graphic objects start to take on primary colours.  I've never let it go to a crash.

Sometimes restarting the game fixes this.  You can tell because when the tile you were working on is called up, the junk is gone.  Often, the junk appears on the Region display.  When this happens, only a restart of the machine fixes it, and while going down, gdm displays a funny screen with text in the background, as if it has lost its opacity on the come down screen.

I postulate that, since the game is a real memory hog, that somewhere in the play, when adding graphic objects, the graphics kernel gets stepped on.

Now, I have a small machine with only 1GB of RAM, but I have  tons of swap space, so there should be no trouble with paging unless we are really getting a page-table overflow, which is possible with my small RAM.

As soon as I can afford it, I will be getting a bigger box to run this, but it may be quite a while.  Meanwhile, I am enjoying the game, and I do encourage you to continue whatever you have been doing, because over the last couple of candidate releases, things have improved significantly.

By the way, as a computer user, programmer, O/S programmer, now retired, I really do appreciate all the work you guys are doing.  Hurrah!