[Wine] drive letter problem, pclinuxos

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Jul 10 06:40:26 CDT 2010

> Thank you for enlightening me.  the problem is, I don't know
> how to proceed from here.  It would appear that the floppy
> automounts, since I have (in pclos) a folder which has the
> name of the floppy (ACAD), but not any of the files.

That sounds like a pclos problem, not wine - ask on their forums.

> # Entry for /dev/sda1 :
> UUID=fa0f413c-58ba-447a-913d-833d0ee93c94 / ext4 defaults 1 1

My copy of Fedora does that too - man fstab explains all.

On a modern UDEV-based kernel automounted devices show up in /etc/mtab.
I've checked this with a flash device but can't with a floppy. My only
PC with a floppy drive, which I don't think I've ever used, seems to
have a stuffed floppy drive. It won't automount and won't manually mount
DOS floppy disks, "mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt", as either vfat or msdos
filing systems.

> I don't know what these devices are, and I don't know how to find out.  To
> get back to the original question, how can I make Wine read the floppy
> and the CD drive, since I don't know what pclos calls them, or where.

Try /dev/fd0 for the floppy - that works for me - at least the drive
switches on and tries to read the floppy even if it can't read it.

Fedora uses /dev/sr0 for the first CD drive, filing system type iso9660
for a CD and mounts it as /media/VOLNAME where VOLNAME is the CD volume
label.

Martin