[Wine] How many more RCs are you planning before wine-1.2?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 11 11:04:49 CDT 2010

oiaohm wrote:
> As long as we don't get to rc 99 or something else insane its fine.
>
> Wine 1.0.0 had 5 rc before release.    If we want to be binary worring to future release it would be funny if it ends up a round 10 rc's.
>
> But as always by wine policies stables are only released as such when they are done to the selection criteria.
>
> This is not the Wine Lead Maintainers rules.   This is rules of wine.   Yes it annoys the hell out code-weavers who pays the Wine lead maintainers wage.
>
> Yep the poor Wine Lead Maintainer does not need any more back set people saying are we there yet.  He has enough pressure.
>
> tpreitzel we(ie people doing support for wine) are not exactly sure where that audio bug is.  Wine running on pure ALSA no pulseaudio it does not appear happen.   Suspect scheduler issues where wine takes the lion share of CPU leaving nothing for pulseaudio.

oiaohm:

It is AJs opinion (and many of the other wine developers) that
pulseaudio is completely unnecessary.  I agree.  Add a layer to the
audio subsystem, and delay will develop.  The community, outside of the
few folks that love pulseaudio, are looking towards openal.  Yes, it is
coming back and it will be the audio equivalent of opengl.   This will
reduce the number of layers needed to support audio.

As to the Direct Sound support in Wine, it will plug into openal when
all is done.  Then it will be up to the vendors to build in this type of
support in hardware.

As to the 'skip to my lou' problems, this will NOT hold up Wine 1.2 as
it has been stated, "This is not a Wine problem.  Disable and junk
pulseaudio and the problem goes away.  WE are not going to fix other
people's brokenness."  This has been demonstrated with the broken
Catalyst drivers from AMD/ATI (and we do have support from them to fix
it, they just don't know where to start.)

This problem is not Wine's as Sound works just fine on my Mac, and it
has the most crappy audio drivers known.  I can and do play games on
this system as well as develop on it.

So, come Friday, unless there is a major show stopper, Wine 1.2 will be
released.  Crappy sound drivers will not stop it.  Switch to ALSA or OSS
or CoreAudio and ditch pulseaudio.

James McKenzie