[Wine] Simple application made with visual studio 2005 not running

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 11 11:28:29 CDT 2010

fernandocarvalho wrote:
> [Exclamation]  [Shocked]
> So there is way to wine be binary compatible with Visual Studio applications?

No.  That would be a violation of law (at least here in the United
States.)   It is legal, however, to emulate the Applications Programming
Interface.  That would allow .NET (up to 3.0) to work as if it were on
Windows.
> I fear that in some time wine become useless, because as far as I know, the most recent applications that are built for Windows, uses Visual Studio as their primary compiler.

That is true.  However, not all of them use .NET features.  Use of CLR
features basically locks you to Windows, and that in itself is not
good.  It also locks you to a specific build layout of Visual Studio.
It can also lock you out of an ISO specific contract (you cannot use
special features in these types of contracts unless you really, really
justify them.)

It is best to use only features available in .NET, as these are
available through Mono.

And yes, Mono does install on Wine.  Use winetricks to install it.

James McKenzie