[Wine] Office 2007 Programs will not Launch

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon Jul 12 04:30:05 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:08, PacificDude85 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello, I am new to wine altogether and find myself experiencing this same problem.
>
> I've read through this posting and taken all the advice into account...My install of Office is clean, and I selected to ONLY install word.  Also I do not have winetricks installed (or know where to install it from, so I'm glad it's not needed).
>
> Terminal output:
>
> root at walt-laptop:~# wine '/home/walt/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/WINWORD.EXE'
Change to the directory first... (or use "wine start")

You shouldn't run Wine as root.... (Not even to install applications)
Each user should install the application into their own home
directory.... (If space is problematic, symbolic links can be used for
parts of program files afterwards, but it might break patching and any
directories linked to should be set read-only...)

The FAQ in the wiki have more information.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

Gert