[Wine] Wine applications for all users

fernandocarvalho wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jul 13 19:55:00 CDT 2010

The worst thing the happens to me when I'm backing up my home folder, is when wine creates symbolic links to my home foder, in a folder inside.
So with this, is hard to make a backup the entire home folder, if it relies in some symbolic links to folders out side the actual home folder.
Then I propose that wine could create a wine user/group and create a folder, for example /var/wineprofiles/ and inside of it, we get the profiles for wine installed applications.
It would solve some security issues, like limiting who has access to wine applications, by adding or removing the user from wine group, and can save administration efforts, by installing an application a single time, for all users on a computer.
Another approach is to allow users to execute applications from a shared wine folder, without the need from the user to be the owner of that wine profile.