[Wine] Headless WINE (nulldrv, winetty)

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jul 14 13:38:27 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 13:11 -0500, boulderdrop wrote:
> I'm running a headless Linux installation (FC11) on Amazon EC2 and
> need to run some console-based (no window) 32-bit DOS executables...

Set "X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the headless server
and "ForwardX11 yes" in /etc/sshd/ssh_config on the machine you're
connecting from.

This allows has two benefits - you can run GUI applications on your
headless server and, of immediate interest, wine will be able to connect
to your local X11 server, which will keep it happy when running your
console-based DOS executables.

This is my standard set-up. I've yet to see any down sides to it.

Martin