[Wine] For what reason the "official" Wine does not support USB ?

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Wed Jul 14 22:28:25 CDT 2010

  On 7/14/2010 1:57 PM, James Mckenzie wrote:
> cledesol<wineforum-user at winehq.org>  wrote:
>> Sent: Jul 14, 2010 12:54 PM
>> To: wine-users at winehq.org
>> Subject: [Wine] For what reason the "official" Wine does not support USB ?
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> A lot of windows application need access to an USB port.
> Hmmm.  Office 2007 and most games do not.  That is the focus of this project at this time.
>
>> For Wine a library (or a patch) exists to manage that but it is not included in
>> the "official" release.
> The patch was rejected for many reasons.  It will be accepted when it is ready and properly written.
>
>> If we want to work with this USB port, we have to compile a personal version of Wine,
>> but this is not really obvious for every body.
> There is/was a Sticky on this on the first page of the forum.  It even included the bug report with the patch-in-progress.
>
>> Why this feature is not include in the release ?
> Because it was not ready and complete.
>
>> Do you plan an official release with USB ?
>>
> When it is ready.  A timeline cannot be placed on this.  There are many reasons that code is rejected for inclusion to the project.  Improper formatting, bad coding practices and incomplete implementation are a few.  The latest version of the patch is what we consider a 'hack' and was far from completely implementing how USB devices work with Windows.  The fact that Wine does not support USB hardware drivers is also being looked into.  Again, there is no timeline when this has to be incorporated into Wine.
>
>> Regards
>>
>> PS Apologies for poor my english but I am french
>>
> Your English is not bad, now my French is.  Makes watching the Tour de France in French very interesting.

Version 1.1.50_1.2rc7-1.1-i586 of Wine broke my ability to use the USB
port with a Western Digital Passport disk drive. That prevents me from
using the PortableApps tools under Wine on Linux.  It also caused file
corruption on my Passport drive and required a significant amount of
effort for me to recover. So DO NOT use this version with USB disk drives!!

Sure would have been nice if a README or Release Notes had been included
with my distro's package (openSuSE11.2) giving me a heads up on this USB
issue, especially since it is apparently a known issue to the developers!

I downgraded Wine back to version 1.1.28-2.3-i586 which does work, but I
am back to living with some font problems in Thunderbird that I was
hoping the upgrade would fix.. Guess I will live with that for awhile
longer...

     Marc..