[Wine] For what reason the "official" Wine does not support USB ?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 09:14:53 CDT 2010

Martin Gregorie <martin at gregorie.org> wrote:
>Sent: Jul 15, 2010 4:56 AM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: Re: [Wine] For what reason the "official" Wine does not support USB ?
>
>On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 06:21 +0200, Gert van den Berg wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 05:28, Marc Chamberlin <marc at marcchamberlin.com> wrote:
>> > Version 1.1.50_1.2rc7-1.1-i586 of Wine broke my ability to use the USB port
>> > with a Western Digital Passport disk drive. That prevents me from using the
>> > PortableApps tools under Wine on Linux.  It also caused file corruption on
>> > my Passport drive and required a significant amount of effort for me to
>> > recover. So DO NOT use this version with USB disk drives!!
>> >
>> That's a completely different issue.... Everyone thougfht this is
>> about using USB drivers under Wine...
>>
>How is your Passport drive formatted - ext2/3 or vfat?
>
>The default for USB drives is vfat, i.e. FAT-32.

The WD Passport drive IS formated as VFAT32 out of the box and if you want to use their security software, it has to remain so.

The problem is that their security software IS NOT supported under Linux.  Don't know if Wine will correct this.  I still have to fix my Thinkpad's installation of Fedora.  I cannot get X to start on it (and the installation screens are really funky as well.)

Contact me OFF LIST if you want to assist with an FC12 installation.

James McKenzie